It’s an easy thing to do, but charging your phone and iPad on your bed is dangerous, as these disturbing photos show.
Falling asleep with your phone or iPad charging beside you is a common thing we’ve all done.
However, there are renewed warnings about the danger of the practice, which can spark a potential fire.
Photos released on Facebook page CPR Kids show what can happen if you charge your electronics in bed.
The images show a frayed charger next to burnt sheets.
CPR Kids, a page run by paediatric registered nurses who have cared for thousands of sick or injured babies and children, is urging parents to be vigilant.
“Did your children receive a tablet or phone for Christmas?” the post asks.
“Make sure that they never charge electronics in bed – teach them to follow manufacturers’ guidelines.
“Charge on a flat surface with no flammable materials around, make sure there are no foreign objects in the connector or plug, and avoid cheap accessories such as cords.
“Also, it is important to check that cords are always in good condition and dispose of any that show signs of wear and tear.
“Damaged cords and charging in unsafe conditions can pose an electrocution and fire risk!
“And always keep cords out of reach of little ones.”
The post has been shared more than 400 times, with the advice equally applying to adults who responded with their own dicey experiences.
“We once charged our phone on a book on our desk. The phone heated up so much the book caught fire,” posted Alana Doyle.
“Smoke hadn’t gotten to the smoke detector yet. Foul smell alerted us first. Lucky we weren’t asleep.”
Devices, such as your phone, should never be left charging overnight, according to the Country Fire Authority Victoria.
Electrical devices left on bedding are a major cause of house fires and should never be left charging on the bed.
In 2019, a schoolgirl was killed in her sleep after her charging smartphone exploded on her pillow.
Alua Asetkyzy Abzalbek, 14, went to bed listening to music at her village home in Bastobe, Kazakhstan.
The next morning, Alua was found dead after the phone’s battery is said to have exploded close to her head.
Police confirmed that her device had been plugged into a power socket at the time.
Forensic experts later confirmed the mobile had exploded in the early hours of the morning after overheating as it charged, and this was the cause of her death.
And this year, an 18-year-old college student died following burn injuries in India after placing his mobile phone connected to a charger on his bed, according to the Times of India.
The boy told his father while in hospital that a spark from the phone ignited a blaze that spread around the bed and entrapped him.
Victorian firefighters alone attended more than 5100 electrical fires involving household equipment and appliances between July 1, 2017 to June 30, 2020.